Thursday, January 10, 2008

Images in the Mirror

I was pleasantly surprised when I returned to New York after Christmas to have received an invitation from Halsey Herreshoff to the "Ninth Annual Sailors Dinner." A black tie dinner at the East Village Yacht Club in New York City...with a bunch of sailors...and Katie Couric!

To everyone requesting a full report of the evening, I don't really know what to say. The best way I can think to sum it up is that during dinner I was seated at a table facing the wall, and a long mirror hung on the wall above us. It reflected the activity of the entire room; I could see everyone laughing and talking in their tuxes and dresses, the soft candle light, the waiters keeping wine glasses full, Katie Couric just a few steps away...and me right in the middle of it. As I sat there, I couldn't help but think of how natural it felt yet how surreal of a scenario was being played out through the images in the mirror - it was like looking at a picture I'd found myself painted in to!


Katie Couric! We discovered we had at least two things in common (well, besides both being loved by millions). 1) This summer was the first time we both sailed, and 2) we both had the same job on the boat...I think that makes us best friends!


Halsey putting Katie on the spot during dinner!


Michael, Rebecca, Halsey and Adam.


My new friend Halsey Herreshoff - a legend in the world of sailing.


After dinner at the East Village Yacht Club.

No comments: