Wednesday, March 5, 2008

"That's not something you see everyday!"

Walking through Madison Square Park today at lunch, I noticed a line of people had formed around the fence that borders the grassy area. At first look toward the grass, I didn't see anything out of the ordinary - the two utility trucks that had been working around the park for a few days were still there, but surely that wasn't what was drawing so much attention. Some people were even taking pictures, so I joined the group and peered into the grass to see what was so interesting.

And what to my wondering eyes did appear, but a big white-bellied hawk standing so near! He was munching intently on something in the grass (I saw some feathers nearby, but I really was not in the mood to see any sort of carcass while on my lunch hour). While it was not as cool as say, a three-legged horse munching in the grass, it was amazing to see a bird of such rural nature in a location of such urban concrete. The suited workers lunching in the park were just as interesting to watch as they watched the bird...a weird zoo exhibit where I was watching the natives who were watching the wild animal.

Two men walked by as I turned to walk away, and one said, "Well that's not something you see everyday!" That's exactly what I was thinking.

P.S. Okay Mama - I have "one", now you have to find one!

Hawk in the park! Hawk in the park!


Chewing on something...maybe a doggy from the dog park in the background??

New Yorkers enjoying a bit of nature during lunch.

No comments: