Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Lighting THE Tree

The past few years I've watched the Rockefeller Center tree lighting ceremony on NBC's televised broadcast, sitting in front of the TV in Birmingham and wishing I could be there in person! The tree, the lights, the people, the buildings, the city, the Rockettes! It just seemed so magical.

Weelllll...I wouldn't exactly describe the experience of being there in person as magical. Better descriptors are crowded, cold, tiring, no view, frozen feet. I didn't want another viewing misfortune like arriving late to the Thanksgiving parade, so I made sure to pick a spot by 6 PM for the 9 PM lighting. Several attempts to convince people to come with me were unsuccessful - I couldn't imagine why no one wanted to get out in the crowd. :)


My vantage point of the tree was actually pretty good! But after three hours of seeing this and only this, it became a bit monotonous.

I spent the first hour entertaining myself by chatting with Ansley on the phone, trying to inch forward in the crowd as much as possible, making sure my camera was working, and getting acquainted with neighbors in the crowd. We lost a few people as they learned the actual countdown and lighting wouldn't happen for another three hours - I made myself stay strong and stay put!
The second hour started the show performance - but we couldn't see any of it. I heard Al Roker announce the fabulous Rockettes, the one and only Celine Dion, the superstar Carrie Underwood...but for all I know it was voices through a radio. Why am I out here freezing?
Then I realized it actually wasn't that cold - amazing what body heat can do! I noticed, however, that my back was decidedly colder than my front. I turned around for the first time and saw there was a break in the crowd right behind me. There was a sea of short people who didn't want to stand right behind me to block their view! The wind was whipping right through the crowd and landing on me! In a continued effort to keep myself entertained, I tried to see what it must be like for the shorter people in the world. I bent my knees to get more on the level of the general height of the crowd. As I crouched, the tree suddenly disappeared, and I felt a little suffocated by the hair and shoulders now at eye level. If I - who at my normal tall height - could see so much more than everyone else but still felt I didn't have a very good view, what in the world were all these shorties thinking about the situation?! I started making a mental list of all the good and bad points of being tall, and the only bad I could think of just then was the fact of no one wanting to stand behind you in a crowd when it's cold.
By hour three, we were all a little loopy. The couple in front of me was planning their escape from Rockefeller Center as soon as the tree lights flashed:
Girl: "We can walk to 6th Ave, hop in a cab, get to Port Authority by 9:15 and catch the 9:25 bus to New Jersey."
Boy: "Well, where am I going to use the bathroom?"
Girl: "Can't you hold it?"
Boy: "No! And I'm starving. When can we get something to eat?"
Girl: "If we stop we won't make the 9:25!"
Boy: "I hope you're happy you got your way. I've never been so miserable."
Girl: Huff!
Okay, I need to find another conversation to peep into...
A group to my left had formed a waving "committee" of 12 to 15 people who would wave and wave and wave at the people in the lower level windows near us. It was quite an effort to get the window viewers' attention and make them realize that yes the group was waving at them. When finally a window person waved back, it was a little victory for us all - everyone shouting a "yea!" of glee, and then mumbled how we wish we could be so lucky to be inside!
I also spent the last hour making little bets with myself - how much time had passed since the last time I checked the clock, how long I could make the one granola bar I brought with me last so I didn't starve to death. I thought for a second about sharing it with the hungry guy in front of me, but out there it was survival of the fittest...there was no room for being nice.
Before I knew it, Al was counting down. All that waiting and preparing my camera, and then I wasn't ready! I was looking down at my camera on "3, 2" and popped up just in time for "1!" and lights!


10,800 seconds of waiting...and only 10 really mattered!


The crowd began streaming away from the tree quickly, giving me only about four minutes to make pictures and enjoy the lights. As I walked away, I realized I hadn't moved my feet in at least an hour. Had I moved at all, I would have known everything below my knees was frozen solid! I couldn't feel anything as I stumbled through the streets feeling like I should tell the policeman I'm not drunk, just crazy with cold.
The lighting of the tree and rushed picture taking that insued made me lose track of the couple in front of me. No telling if they were able to execute their planned escape route, but I can bet you they'll be sitting in the comforts of home next year.
I, on the other hand, will be back for the magic - with thicker socks and more snacks!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I am glad you have it figured out now! I want to go with you next year, even though I'm a shortie and won't see anything =)