Sunday, February 24, 2008

February Finally Freezing

After receiving NO snow during the first month of the year, February has made up for it with several snowy days. The weathermen distinguish the amount and severity of each snowfall as "wintry mix" or "snow shower" or "snow storm"...but to this girl from Alabama, snow is SNOW!


It's so exciting to wake up and snow already be falling! This picture was taken out of my apartment window on the morning of the "snow storm" on Friday, Feb. 22 - it had been snowing since 5 AM, and rooftops were already very much covered!


Living in the city means there really are no "snow days"...the first thing I saw on my way to work was this little cutie getting pulled along the sidewalk! Although not as fun as a little red sled to pull me to work, I was glad to have my red galoshes to jump over the slushy snowy muck at the crosswalks!


It finally stopped snowing around 1 PM, so I went around the corner from my office to see Madison Square Park. On a normal day, the Empire State Building is easily seen in the sky above the trees.


No resting on park benches today!


The Shake Shack in the snow...and still, the people come!


The fountain near Shake Shack, and the only bench with untouched snow - so perfectly thick!


A snowman as tall as me! People making snow angels and throwing snow balls...too bad I had to go back to work!


This red building on the corner of 23rd Street and 5th Avenue caught my eye in the snow...I don't think I've ever even noticed it! The Flatiron Building is to the left of the picture.


On Tuesday, February 12 - just a "snow shower" day...the Empire State Building from the 6th floor patio of my office.


Later that evening after work...the Shake Shack in lights...with people ordering burgers and shakes in the freezing cold and wind!


The Flatiron Building



A Saturday morning stroll in Central Park on February 23rd.


A beautiful sunny Sunday at The Pond in Central Park...this is my favorite area in any season!


Kids young and old sledding near The Pond. The bigger boy with the red sled is apologizing to the smaller boy for not catching him as he slid over the drop off they are standing on and slammed into the concrete sidewalk!


The frozen Pond.


Bethesda Fountain near the Boathouse.


Such pretty views around Bethesda Fountain!

The beautiful snow makes the cold temperatures worth every layer of clothes, every wind-induced tear down the cheek and every inch of my big poofy stovepipe coat!

No comments: