Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Dog days of summer

With pizza places tucked in every nook and cranny of the New York City streets, last summer I found myself grabbing a few slices here, let me try this place one over there, several times a week. I guess it's every new New Yorker's rite of passage to try as many types of pizza as possible and select a favorite go-to spot. (Psst - Ultimate Pizza on 57th and 1st!)

But when my hips started feeling like I'd ordered them with a little extra cheese, I realized my "research" was done. But with a new summer comes a new fling, and this year it's the hotdog. Street vendor hotdogs. I try to tell myself hotdogs have no nutritional value and they will just make my stomach hurt, but not even a self-scolding of "you just had one yesterday" will make me stop. Perfectly boiled with a steamed bun, topped with ketchup, spicy mustard and kraut - all for $2.00 in under a minute. Who could resist that puppy?!

No comments: