Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A bulldog on a leash

Never did I think I would see such an accurate portrait of my current self as I did today in a bulldog on a leash.

The bulldog walked a few steps, then stopped firmly in place and looked all around at his surroundings. "Come on!" the owner coached, "Move your feet - let's go!" The bulldog didn't budge. Just kept looking around grinning that bulldog grin.

"You're never gonna get anywhere if you don't walk!" the owner urged.

The sweet, cuddly and adorable (you are starting to see the resemblance, right?) bulldog walked forward a few steps and stopped again.

"Come on, don't stop! You don't want to be stuck in the same place forever!"

The bulldog took several more steps and stopped again. This pattern continued, and the owner even raised the dog off the ground by pulling up on the leash, resulting in the dog having no choice but to drag along beside her, moving his back feet against his will.

As the parallel to this stuck bulldog gelled with my current life, my laughing at the funny charade turned into just a smile, and then faded completely. "Humph," was all I could manage as I realized I'm that stubborn little bulldog - depending on my "owners" to pull me along to keep taking the next steps.

Thanks to my Daddy, special friends, and a certain career resume counselor - all messengers and gifts from God - to keep urging (and pushing, and pulling, and dragging!) me along.

No comments: