Tuesday, September 4, 2007

My Park

My favorite spot in New York is one I had never even seen or heard of until I moved here. I don't think I'd ever really even noticed it on a map of New York. It, like several people who have meant a whole lot to me in my life, found me, and I remember the very first time we met.

It was on June 5 - my second day of work when Mary Jane and I walked together in the morning. We passed by and I was immediately struck by the cuteness of the little green oasis in the middle of the bustling streets and tall buildings. I guess you could say it was love at first sight!



Madison Square Park has been my joy. Lauren and I have spent our lunch break in the park practically every day this summer. It's a popular place for everyone who works around there; some days we have to walk a lap or two around the pathways, trying to find room for two on one of the many benches. Often the benches are so full that we can't be picky with our seats, and we will take one in the sun or near the dreaded pigeons. Lauren's better at shooing the birds and squirrels away than I am. She's also better at watching the time than I am. She says one day she's just not going to say anything about when it's time to head back to the office just to see if I would actually sit out there all afternoon!



Wouldn't you want to sit outside all afternoon if you were lunching in the shadows of the Empire State Building?!!

One of the reasons the park is such a popular lunchtime spot is because of Shake Shack. It's a burger, fries and milkshake "shack" in the southeast corner of the park, and people LOVE it! The line is always wrapped onto the sidewalk, and still, the people wait! I got a burger after work one day and then understood the obsession.





The line begins...and keeps going and going!!


The Shake Shack eating area - when it's not so packed, Lauren and I try to grab a table for a more "civilized" lunch than our normal benches!

I don't know exactly what it is about the place that I love so much. I guess it's a combination of everything. I see all types of people there - groups of coworkers, punky-looking teenagers, nannies with other peoples babies, young and old couples, homeless, little kids at the children park and dogs at the dog park. I see all kinds of things going on there - a little girl walking on stilts high above everyone's head, people reading or writing in journals, grown men dressed in button ups lying flat on their back to rest in the grass, couples getting engaged (saw it happen twice!), people exercising or practicing karate, someone on the phone crying, camera crew filming scenes for a show. I see all sorts of events happening there - Big Apple BBQ, weekly author readings and book signings, summer concerts in the park, U.S. Open viewing area.

For several months this year there is an art exhibit in the park - aluminum tree and rock installations. I'll admit, the first time I saw the silver trees, I thought, "How in the world did they wrap those trees like that!!"

I love the small snippets of life I see happen on a bench or a little patch of grass, contained within the beautiful trees and paths and fountains, contained within the streets and buildings that enclose the park to create a little sanctuary where you can escape to your own thoughts and feelings.



If anyone ever wants to dedicate a bench to me - make sure the plaque is on one in Madison Square Park!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rebecca,

Regarding your comment about wrapping the trees...there are also only 5 grand pianos in the world! MBB