Saturday, May 3, 2008

"...one is silver, the other gold"

After hanging up from an hour-long phone conversation with my lovely Cheryl from Crimsonettes in college (and still having more to talk about!) because I was on my way to meet my dear Annie from high school who was in town from Los Angeles, I was reminded of the words of a poem I first learned around the age of 10 when my family moved from Muscle Shoals to Birmingham:

Make new friends
but keep the old;
one is silver,
the other gold.


Considering I was devastated to be moving away from all my friends, the song provided absolutely zero comfort to me as my mother explained what the words meant. "My life is over!" I wailed, as only a 10 year old can.

But tonight the song reminds me of how thankful I am for all the friends in my life, from all different stages. It's funny how each new layer makes the previous layer golden. What a blessing it is to turn a friend into gold, and I'm blessed enough to have a whole pot!

No comments: