Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Mother's Day Blooms

An email and picture forwarded to me from my mother, sent by a life-long family friend, Teresa Newton, about my Grandma Maudie who passed away earlier this year at the age of 103, who always had a green thumb:

I just had to tell you this. When Arvie first went into the nursing home, Maudie would ride up with me each morning as I went to work. One day, she got in the car and had some pieces of a "mother's day" cactus that she had broken off her plant. She told me to just stick them in dirt and they would root. They did--and they grew and grew and bloomed every year. Then one year, it didn't bloom. The next winter, I was using an unvented gas heater and all of my cacti were dying, so I brought them to the office. Each year at Thanksgiving and Christmas I had blooms. But not my mother's day cactus--it never bloomed again. Periodically, I would threaten it with going on the garbage heap if it didn't bloom. That didn't work either. This week, I went in to my office one day, and guess what: Blooms! It's way past mother's day, but there are blooms. Maybe your Momma is working her flower magic from up above!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How neat! --Jennifer Byrom