Saturday, October 11, 2008

10 years later

Throughout the night, I heard several incredulous utterances, all asking the same question, "Are we really at our TEN-year reunion?"  The answer was always a disbelieving shake of the head.   As the lead singer of the band yelled, "Let's hear it for the Hoover High School class of 1998!  We're gonna play some music from your decade," there was no denying...it was 10 years later, 10 years since the last time we were all in a room together, 10 years since the popular kids crowded the middle of the dance floor, the nerdy kids huddled at a side table, the jocks acted like they owned the place, and I just tried to flutter from one group to the next, and keep my excited laughter from echoing too loudly.

While others tried to forget, I actually tried to keep reminding myself of the fact, hoping to feel the full gamut of emotions that should be associated with such a milestone.  I thought of all the significant things that have happened in my life over the last 10 years - the dear friends I have met, the excitement of twirling at Alabama, the two college degrees, the love and the heartache, the first job and the next, the marriage of my little sister, the loss of my grandmothers, the trips to new places in the world, the leap to New York City.  I smiled at the accomplishments and the downfalls, at the good and the bad, the happy and the sad, for the life that happened in 10 years.  

Just as I swelled with satisfaction of how much I had grown and changed over 10 years, I heard my name announced as the winner of the "Least Changed" award.  "What?!" I shrieked, "I've changed!  I'm different!"  As I inwardly sulked with outrage, friends pointed out the award was not least changed in life, but least changed in appearance.  "Rebecca, it's called the 'Marilyn Monroe Award'...this is a good thing, it means you still have the body of an 18 year old!"  Oh.  Well far be it from me to turn down an award then! 

I tried to think of the 18 year old me, what she would think seeing me now.  Not the outward appearance, but what she would think of who I am now - what did she think she'd be like at this 10 year mark.  I glanced down at my Senior picture printed on my name tag, and I swear she winked at me (or maybe it was just that fourth glass of wine).  But I knew what the wink meant:  "We're doing just fine...no matter where we go, or what we see or learn or do, we are the least changed, and that's a beautiful thing." 


Please tell me I don't still have the mushroom hair!


With Vashty, Jasmine and Jay...fellow HHS classmates now in NYC.


With Joshua, my very oldest friend at the reunion...we've been warring since the 5th grade over who is tallest.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I'm so glad you went to your 10 year reunion - and what a wonderful compliment to have been voted the "Least Changed." For those of us who have gained 30 pounds and have a few gray hairs starting to poke thru, that's a true accomplishment!

I was in charge of my 10 year reunion this year! It was so crazy trying to find everyone and get in touch - especially since so many people just have cell phones. At times, I felt like I was running in circles. Thank goodness for Facebook! I had a fabulous time and was very thankful for a wonderful turnout.

Here's to our 20 year reunions! :)