Thursday, October 18, 2007

I love plums

One thing I love love love about New York is the fruit stand vendors conveniently located every few corners or so. At first glance you might think all the stands are the same - bananas on the end, bigger veggies toward the back, prices hand-scribbled on cardboard signs - but they are oh so different!

I'm partial to the stand closest to my apartment on 57th and 1st, and my second favorite stand is on the corner of 72nd and 2nd - it has the best variety and the stock is displayed so nicely. The guy at the stand by my apartment is nice, the stand is open until late at night, the selection is great - strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, grapes, bananas, carrots, eggplant, apples, potatoes, and lots of stuff I never buy - and the price deals are great. For example, my most frequent and favorite purchase is bananas. The stand by my apartment has bananas 25-cents each or 5 for $1.00. The stand by my office has bananas 25-cents each or 4 for $1.00. Where's the bargain??

No, you can't beat the price deals on street vendor fruit and flowers - a pound of grapes is $1.50, a box of strawberries is $2.00, a big bouquet of white daisies is $4.00. But even better than the deals is the freedom of being able to grab a snack on your way wherever - without the hassles of going into a store or waiting in a line - and discover you love the way a juicy plum tastes. Have never even looked at them in the grocery store...


Fruit and vegetable vendors make the city a nice place to live! :)

1 comment:

Elizabeth S. said...

Cute post! I was wondering if you were ever going to post anything again! :) I've never eaten a plum. Maybe if it was displayed in a fun way I would!