Friday, May 30, 2008

Seeing Sex IN the City

I’d be lying if I said I didn't watch Sex and the City before I moved to New York and let it paint an even more fabulous and exciting ideal of the city than I already had dreamed up in my mind. Now I never watched the originals on HBO or got the full series pink box collection like SOME people I know (you know who you are, ladies!), but I have been known to stay up and keep myself from nodding off in order to watch the back-to-back episodes on TBS from 11 to midnight. I knew the girls’ experiences would not be mine, and I saw the flaw in reality of Carrie’s huge apartment and vast shoe collection on a tiny salary, but still, I loved seeing the city all around them and dreamed of walking the same streets.

This interest in the show, combined with my love for anything that creates a crowd or frenzy, had me looking forward to the NYC premiere and the opening of the movie for weeks!

Thanks for sharing your city with me, Carrie! Julie and I walked through Times Square before heading over to Radio City Music Hall on Tuesday night for the NYC premiere.

The red carpet scene at Radio City before the ladies arrived for the premiere. I got my feel of frenzy after about an hour - too many people, too muggy, too rainy - so we left and headed to the theater for our Broadway show.

The marquee reads "New Line Cinema presents the U.S. premiere of Sex and the City"!! After our show, we walked back to Radio City and joined just a few other fans waiting in front of the theater - the movie was still playing inside, so we decided just to wait and see if we saw any action when the movie was over.

And, yep! we did! Julie with David Eigenberg, the actor who plays Miranda's husband Steve. By the time the movie was over, a small throng had gathered around us. I won't bore you with the blurry pictures of famous folks exiting the theater - The Donald and Melania, Regis Philbin and his wife, Project Runway's Christian Siriano.

Rebecca and Julie with SJP. The sign says "U.S. PREMIERE TONIGHT exclusively at Radio City Music Hall".


Still on our quest to see one of the "girls", Julie and I hoofed it over to the after party at the Museum of Modern Art. And, of course, the girls were already inside, but we did see Jennifer Hudson (above) arriving at the after party.

We decided to call it a night when we found ourselves peeking through screens into the courtyard of MoMA, watching the party-goers mix and mingle, as we pitifully stood on the outside looking in. Carrie wouldn't stand for such exclusion, so we wouldn't either!

No comments: