Wednesday, May 28, 2008

You've not really visited until I've walked you to death

The location: New York City subway, on the 6 train
The time: 2 PM Monday, day three of visit
The characters:
"Julie", visiting her younger sister in New York City
"Rebecca", happy to have her sister there for the first time since she moved A YEAR AGO

The background: After a (shall we say) turbulent trip to New York City in 2003 in which our darling characters fought so much they divorced as sisters in the South Street Seaport (fights mainly due to "Rebecca's" packed-to-the-gills, stick to the times, "does everyone have their printed copy?", Excel-formatted, color-coded sight-seeing schedule...and the characters' low tolerance for hunger, cold and differences of opinion), "Rebecca" has decided to take a low-key approach to her role as NYC hostess/tour guide for "Julie" in order to make every attempt of keeping the peace.

The scene unfolds as the two sisters find seats on the subway train and gratefully sit down to rest their legs for a few minutes as they ride.

Rebecca: (letting out a long breath) ah!
Julie: It feels good to sit down.
Rebecca: mmhmmm.
silence
Rebecca: Don't you just love the 6 line better than the N/R?
Julie: Yeah, it does seem newer.
silence
Rebecca: I'm getting hungry again.
Julie: I have a granola bar in my purse.
Rebecca: No. I'll just wait a bit.
silence - watching other riders on the train
Rebecca: Sooo...what's been your favorite thing so far?
Julie: Um, I don't know. (Shrugging shoulders) It's all been fun.
Rebecca: Yeah, it has, hasn't it. (Nodding in agreement and beginning to beam with satisfaction thinking "I am a good hostess!")
Julie: (In passing) I don't really feel like I've seen that much.
Rebecca: (Takes a second to process.) (Blank stare, eyes widen, mouth opens, eyebrows arch, neck juts forward) You don't feel like you what?
Julie: I mean, it just doesn't feel like we've done a lot. (Sincerely) But I'm having fun!
Rebecca: (Indignant anyway) We've been all over the city! And you don't feel like you've done a lot?!
Julie: No, we have done a lot-
Rebecca: (Cutting her off, and counting the list on her fingers) You've seen my neighborhood, we've visited Jane and my old apartment, we walked to the East River, we toured my old streets, we've eaten at my favorite Alice's Tea Cup and picnicked in Central Park, we've seen the Boathouse, Bethesda Fountain, Sheep's Meadow, played the Big Piano at FAO Schwartz.(Barely pausing to take a breath) We've been to Times Square and Broadway and Rockefeller Center. We've gone to the Flatiron Building, my beloved Madison Square Park, Macy's and Herald Square - we've even done laundry at the Laundro-Mat and toured my grocery store! What do you mean we haven't done a lot!
Julie: I'm saying we have done a lot, okay! I guess it just doesn't feel so...pressured. Like last time.
Rebecca: Oh, well you've got a point there. And we haven't killed each other yet.

Editor's note: I am happy to report the five-day trip continued peacefully with no catastrophic fights or hair pulling.

Julie's "I don't feel like I've really seen anything" photo tour of New York:


On the roof of my old apartment, near Empire State Building, at Rockefeller Center.


Tea and scones at Alice's, picnic in Central Park, pretty scenery at Bethesda Fountain.


Fleet Week sailors, fun in Central Park, styling on Park Avenue.

At the Flat Iron Building, The Bitter End - a family tradition, purse-shopping in Chinatown.


Drinks at 230 5th roof top bar, visiting the Statue of Liberty, walking on the Brooklyn Bridge.

No comments: