Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Soundtrack


I’m not one who has ever been good with music. I don’t really have a favorite kind of music, although most know me to be a lover of oldies. and I never tire of listening to 80s music. When I do have a favorite current hit, I usually can’t remember the name of it: “You know, the one that goes like this,” and then I hum a tone-deaf, rhythm-less rendition. My little sister even used to quiz me on songs playing on the radio as I drove us to high school, “What’s the name of this song? Who sings it?” she pestered. If I was lucky enough to guess correctly, the triumphant smile that spread across my face was fleeting, because the next quiz time surely would not go my way.

This being the history of me and song, I’ve always had a slight envy of people who can spit out a list on que of their favorite songs of all time. But I never cared enough to create and memorize my own list, and then program it in my iPod to listen to on repeat. Besides the fact I don’t own an iPod, I was just always happier to take what I got on the radio, and enjoy the thrill of cranking up the volume and singing along when I song I love came on.

At my going away party last year, as I greeted Katherine Marsh hello, she put a CD into my hand. With all the people swirling around me, I didn’t have time to look at the song list immediately, I just saw that Katherine had burned the music to CD herself and written in her swirly handwriting “Rebecca’s Alabama to NYC CD”. The CD stayed in my hand for a while as I inadvertently used it as a fan to flutter the sweat and emotions away as I greeted more friends to the party. But mid-flutter a song title caught my attention, so I quickly glanced down to read the list. I found myself exclaiming with each new title, “Oh, I love that song! Oh perfect!” I saw Katherine across the room and held up the CD and mouthed “I love it!”, she nodded and gave me an “I knew you would” smile.

I can’t remember now if I popped in it my car’s CD player during the day or two I had left in Birmingham or if I waited until I was in New York to listen to it. Hmmm, judging from a memory I have of a mixed tape Elizabeth made for me when I left home for college that I popped in the tape deck of our little Geo Prizm as I drove away to Tuscaloosa (already crying), and then listening to the songs brought me to a full boohoo for most of the hour-long trip to my new home, it’s safe to say I probably waited until I was fully in New York to listen to this compilation!

Whatever the case, I listened to it every chance I got when I first moved. Dancing around, singing along, I would look out my “bedroom” window at the city view and be even happier that I was in New York.

These songs do not necessarily make up my list of all-time favorites, but together they are definitely the soundtrack to my life the past year or so:

These Are the Days – 10,000 Maniacs

“These are the days you’ll remember. Never before and never since, I promise. Will the whole world be warm as this, And as you feel it, you’ll know it’s true, that you - are blessed and lucky. It’s true - that you are touched by something. That will grow and bloom in you.

These are the days that you’ll remember. When May is rushing over you, with desire to be part of the miracles you see in every hour. You'll know it's true, that you - are blessed and lucky. It's true - that you are touched by something that will grow and bloom in you.

These are the days you might fill, with laughter until you break. These are the days you might feel a shaft of light make its way across your face. And when you do, you'll know how it was meant to be, See the signs and know their meaning. You'll know how it was meant to be, Hear the signs and know they're speaking, to you, to you."

Dixieland Delight - Alabama

I’m a “homegrown country girl” and this country rhythm is just in my heart.

Southern Girl - Amos Lee

“Farewell my sweet, well the time that was coming, the road has begun to move beneath my feet. Good things come to an end, well, I hope through the pain and the heartache and strain we can still remain friends.

Something about a southern girl, makes me feel right, in a Mississippi morning she’s an angel in flight, in a blink of an eye, she’ll be out of your sight, something about a southern girl.”

Stars Fell on Alabama - Billie Holiday

"We lived our little drama, we kissed in a field of white, and stars fell on Alabama last night. I can’t forget the glamour, your eyes held a tender light, and stars fell on Alabama last night. My heart beat like a hammer, my arms wound round you tight, and stars fell on Alabama last night."

New York State of Mind – Billy Joel

“I know what I'm needing, And I don’t want to waste more time, I’m in the New York state of mind. I don’t have any reasons, I’ve left them all behind, I’m in a New York state of mind.”

Put Your Records On – Corinne Bailey Rae

“Maybe sometimes, we’ve got it wrong, but it’s alright. The more things seem to change, the more they stay the same. Oh, don’t you hesitate… Girl, put your records on, tell me your favorite song, you go ahead, let your hair down. I hope you get your dreams, just go ahead let your hair down.

You’re gonna find yourself someway, somehow.

Maybe sometimes, we feel afraid but it’s alright. The more you stay the same, the more they seem to change. Don’t you think it’s strange?

When you gonna realize, that you don’t even have to try any longer? Do what you want to. Girl, put your records on.”

Move by Yourself - Donavan Frankenreiter

“I couldn’t just do what they wanted, fake it. They said they’d be shocked if I found another place. Don’t stop doing what you believe in, don’t let them put you on a shelf, you’ve got to move by yourself, move by yourself tonight. Don’t ever be somebody that you’re not. There’s a choice you’ve got to make, do what you feel, don’t hesitate."

Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd

“Big wheels keep on turnin’, carry me home to see my kin, singin’ songs about the southland, I miss old Bamy once again, I think it’s a sin.”

Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield

“I am unwritten, can’t read my mind, I’m undefined. I’m just beginning, the pen’s in my hand, ending unplanned.

Staring at the blank page before you, open up the dirty window, let the sun illuminate the words that you cannot find. Reaching for something in the distance, so close you can almost taste it, release your inhibitions –

Feel the rain on your skin! No one else can feel it for you, only you can let it in, no one else, no one else, can speak the words on your lips. Drench yourself in words unspoken, live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten."

Amsterdam by Reed Waddle

“Headed for the open road, bought my ticket yesterday, got a seat by the window, like a bird I’ll fly away."

Suddenly I See by KT Tunstall

“Her face is a map of the world, is a map of the world. You can see she’s a beautiful girl, she’s a beautiful girl. And everything around her is a silver pool of light, the people who surround her feel the benefit of it, it makes you calm, she holds you captivated in her palm.

Suddenly I see, this is what I want to be. Suddenly I see, why the hell it means so much to me."

Soul Thing by Taylor Hicks

“Where the city streets meet the county road, where the sun is nice and warm, no matter how long I may roam, this song still takes us home, takes us home.”

New York, New York by Frank Sinatra

“Start spreadin’ the news, I’m leaving today. I want to be a part of it, New York, New York! These vagabond shoes, are longing to stray, right through the very heart of it, New York, New York! I want to wake up in a city that doesn’t sleep, and find I’m king of the hill, top of the heap. These little town blues are melting away. I’ll make a brand new start of it in old New York. If I can make it there, I’ll make it anywhere! It’s up to you, New York, New York!”

No comments: