Sunday, June 29, 2008

Under My Umbrella-ella-ella-eh-eh

Funny that I really can't stand Rihanna's song "Under My Umbrella", because I sure have been spending a lot of time under mine lately - or wishing I was under there, at least!  Summer storms have caught me on the streets enough times in the last few weeks to make me toss an umbrella in my bag even if it's sunny when I leave the apartment.  The first umbrella-less soaking happened when I was engrossed in a book on a bench in Central Park, and thankfully the enormous tree covering the bench kept me sheltered for a good hour as the rain continued to fall.  The next time I was caught in Madison Square Park and tried to run home before the rain really fell hard...no such luck as I took cover with two others under a pizzeria awning.  And today I was among the hundreds who scrambled from 5th Avenue shopping when a crack of thunder opened the flood gates. Standing beneath the skinny overhang of a building for extra coverage, I actually enjoyed the calmness of watching the rain fall and flood the streets, and laughing at the funny ways people dealt with the rain - thinking large envelopes would keep them dry, hiking up pants legs and tripping through the puddles, and some just walking and getting soaked, not even trying to stay dry.
This time I was glad to be one of the people under their umbrella! 


Monsoon!

No comments: