Thursday, July 12, 2007

Count your blessings!

After two really hot and HUMID days here, today is absolutely beautiful! I woke up early and the sky was so clear and blue, I decided to walk to work. I just rode the subway part of the way and got off one stop before my normal stop. I'm so glad I did. As I started up the subway stairs, a man who couldn't walk was using his crutches to slowly work his way up the stairs. He was dressed for work and had his briefcase across his shoulder just like everyone else. Then as I started down the street, I saw a blind man coming toward me, steadily walking with his cane. Wow! To top it off, a block later I saw another blind man doing the same! I can't get over the resiliency and bravery those three have. And to think of the extra struggle they have just to get through a normal day like you and me. I complain of "I wish the station were closer to the apartment!", "My makeup sweats off by the time I get to the subway!", etc - oh, come on! I am so blessed to be able to jump out of the bed and WALK wherever I want to go and SEE all these amazing things around me. What a beautiful reminder to count my blessing and be thankful.

3 comments:

Elizabeth S. said...

Amen, sister! Thanks for the reminder...

Unknown said...

Rebecca,

I love the blog! It sounds like all is well in Good Ol' New York! I am so glad you got in touch with Anne. I bet that was a nice reunion. Thanks for the perspective - We all need a little reminding sometimes to count our blessings.

I can't wait for you to have good fall weather. I imagine the city to have crisp air. It reminds me of the movie You've Got Mail when Tom writes to Meg about a fresh bouquet of sharpened pencils. Then winter you'll get to see snow. I haven't seen snow in probably a decade. Oh, and I suppose springtime in Central Park is fabulous. I am just so glad your there experiencing such wonderful things.

Take Care!!! -- Love, Jan

ansley said...

oh sweet rebecca...always good for a "deep thought" when we need it! i love you for it!
see you on wednesday!! luv, ans