Saturday, October 6, 2007

Crimsonettes Coming Home

My homecoming from New York to Birmingham conveniently coincided with the University of Alabama's Homecoming weekend. Saturday was a fun-filled day of Million Dollar Band, twirling, tailgating, walking the Quad, football, friends...just what this Southern girl needed!


With Mama at the Mummert tailgate...we get there early!

With Elizabeth and our #1 Coach...

With Crimsonettes after Alumni Band practice at Butler Field.

Reliving the glory days with a "Yea Alabama!" at pregame in Bryant Denny Stadium.

My on-field photographers - Elizabeth and Julie!

Daddy enjoying his Alabama Crimson Tide!

The whole fam after the game - it was a long, hot day...but well worth it!

The Crimsonettes hosted a dinner for Marion Powell to celebrate her 30th year as the Crimsonette Choreographer. We all have such wonderful memories and friendships because of our time as Crimsonettes, and we owe it all to Marion's dedication to the group.

I spoke at the dinner and told the group of the reactions I'd gotten in New York when I said I was going home to attend the Homecoming game and a dinner for the Crimsonettes. Reaction: "Oh, that's nice." [Blank stare]. Even telling Birmingham friends of my excitement to see the other Crimsonettes and Marion was met with jokes of big hair, white boots and sparkly outfits. "Does no one understand how special Crimsonette is?!?!" Then I realized...no, no one does! Only the girls who have twirled as a Crimsonette understand how it gets in your blood, how we happily sweat our summers away at band camp, how we get to know each other really well when we're still at practice at 1 AM, how much fun bus rides are to away games, how the hair and makeup is a process every Crimsonette must learn, how thrilling it is the first time we put on our sparkly new uniforms and shiny white boots, how exhilarating it is to lead the band on the field, how many laughs we have sitting in the stands during the game, how stressful costume changes are on the field during the show, how special it is to twirl and perform and hear the crowd clap and cheer.

When I think back to when I was a little girl, watching the Alabama football game at home and then running outside to watch myself in the garage window as I marched, struted and twirled around the driveway with hopes and dreams that maybe - just maybe - one day I would get to be one of those big-haired girls in white boots and sparkly outfit...I get chills at how blessed I am to have my Crimsonette dreams come true in every way and more than I imagined!


Crimsonettes from through the years who gathered to thank Marion.

Just a few of the 40+ girls I twirled with during my five years as a Crimsonette.
L to R: Rebecca, Cheryl, Jan, Niki, April, Dusti, Pasha, Heather, Cortney


My fifth year friends and Marion - I love you all!

No comments: