Monday, October 29, 2007

A few days in another world

Truly another world. Narrow cobblestone streets, four hundred year old buildings slanted with age, windmills twirling in the distance, autumn leaves coloring the streetscapes, dreamy yellow lights illuminating canals and bridges, bikes, bikes bikes everywhere! Eating a bratwurst about 30 minutes outside of Germany at a Dutch rock in roll concert; riding my bike over a canal at midnight, hearing only the swooshing sound of the tires and feeling the wind in my face; chimes from the Westerkerk church bells lingering in the air; dancing to techno music in a popular Amsterdam club - the whole experience seemed like a dream to me.

I was lucky enough to have the time and opportunity to visit a friend in Amsterdam for five days in October. A feeling more lasting than my own memories of being there is the feeling of satisfaction knowing my friend is in the perfect place meant for him. Very seldom do I see someone who is exactly where they are supposed to be, living a life they fit seamlessly into. Feels like a dream...looks like a movie...but it's real life!


My favorite picture from Amsterdam.


Our bikes chained up by a canal.


The bike deck by Centraal Station - endless bikes as far as the eye can see!!



I only fell off the bike a few times!! (It's petrifying to pass by cars on the narrow streets!)


Try to imagine the lights of the canal without the blur - so beautiful!

"In De Waag" a wonderful Dutch restaurant in an old weigh station. Interior is lit only by candlelight. We enjoyed yummy mustard soup!

At the University of Leiden where Damion is in law school, about 30 minutes outside of Amsterdam.



Streets and rooftops in Leiden.




Damion and me in Leiden - I'm just a little jealous he sees windmills, boats and canals on the way to class everyday!




The Riksmuseum in Amsterdam.

Two really pretty houses across the canal from the Riksmuseum.


By the end of the trip, I was a pro at biking around Amsterdam!

No comments: