Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Miracle on 34th Street

I had done some serious shopping around the city for several days in an attempt to find the perfect outfit for two Christmas parties requiring "festive" attire. I looked at the fabulous little boutiques in Soho - but there was no way I'd spend so much money on one outfit (although I've definitely been known to drop some cash in the past) - and hoped I would find something at H&M or one of the other trendy but cheap places. I shopped the many stores on 5th Avenue around my office during lunch, bringing my purchases back to show Lauren. Nothing seemed to be the right choice, and suddenly the first party was just two days away, and I still had nothing to wear!


In a last-ditch effort, I told Lauren I planned to run over to Macy's after work - maybe, just maybe I would find something to wear...in the midst of the plethora of tourists and clothes that just make Macy's a destination I prefer to avoid, especially this time of year. I gathered about 15 dresses - not loving any of them - and headed to the dressing room. A dress on the wall outside the dressing room caught my eye, and I stepped back out to get it. As I tried on dress after dress to no avail, my last grab continued to hang, waiting for its time to shine. Finally, as I pulled it on, I realized it was just perfect - sleeveless but not strappy, shiny but not gawdy, short but not too short, loose but still fun! With my new dress in hand, I headed to the shoe department where I was treated like a queen in the midst of the chaos. My salesguy selected the cutest silver snakeskin pumps that just totally made the outfit. Seldom have I left a store so happy and confident with my purchases; I couldn't help but swing my bags and smile at what better New York Christmas shopping experience could I ask for than finding the perfect dress and shoes at Macy's, then skipping on up Broadway to enjoy "A Chorus Line" with a friend!


One of Macy's famous windows...depicting Santa flying over North America and Europe...


Then the scene rotates over and shows Santa flying "on the other side of the world" in Japan and China.


Another window - Santa and Mrs. Claus with the elves in the North Pole.


I love this one!! Santa flying over Manhattan - Macy's, Rockefeller Ice Rink, Times Square, Broadway and the Statue of Liberty.

The main area of the first floor - poinsettia arches and Christmas trees - so beautiful!


And more poinsettia swags on each side of the main area.


The Christmas tree of lights at Macy's on Broadway and 34th Street. I can see the tree from the end of my office street on 22nd Street and Broadway.

No comments: