Sunday, March 23, 2008

I found the Golden Egg!

Normally I keep my face smashed into my pillow much later than 6:45 AM, but God must have sent me a nudge to wake up early this Easter morning and be amazed by the view out my window. It was actually more of a jolt than a nudge, because I popped right out of bed and onto the cold balcony to take a picture of the glowing golden moon! I imagine my jolt awake was similar to the one Mama delivered to Julie when she was a little girl at her play school Easter egg hunt. It makes me laugh every time I think about the jolting push - the image of poor little Julie falling to the ground and the determined and excited look that must have been on my mother's face. Mama, sorry to "out" you after all these years, but the world needs to know the shenanigans you're capable of pulling!

You see, Mama spotted the glorious, prize-winning golden egg laying unseen underneath a bush. Frantic to have Julie find it before the other little rugrats hunted into the area, Mama took Julie by the shoulder and pushed, er-urged her in the direction of the egg.

Doubled over with laughter at my thoughts of Julie with a mouthful of dirt and yelling up to Mama "Why did you push me?!", the story always ends there for me. I don't know if Julie did see the egg and claim victory, or if the fall brought her tears, causing a commotion and allowing time for another kid to run in there and grab the egg. If she did get the egg, what was the prize? And, Mama, was the prize worth compromising the safety of your eldest child?

Since the incident lives on as one of our favorite Easter memories, I'd say "you betcha" the push was worth it!

The moon was glowing so big and bright, followed by a brilliantly colorful sunrise. I was awake in time to enjoy it for about 10 minutes before the moon dropped behind the buildings and the sky faded to blue:




The sky was lighter than it's showing in this picture.

The sunrise over the East River.



Thanks for the Easter box filled with goodies, Mama and Daddy!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

In an email from Mama:
"Oh, yes, Julie found the golden egg. There were no tears from the fall because when she landed face-down on the ground the egg was right in front of her! It was filled with candy and the egg (a plastic Leggs hose container spray-painted gold) is still with Julie’s things in the attic!"