Thursday, April 10, 2008

Het mooiste lentepark ter wereld!

My love of tulips didn't necessarily begin while I was a student at the University of Alabama, but it definitely blossomed. Every April I was convinced Heaven must be right there in Tuscaloosa with all the cheerful, vibrant color smiling at me from the tulip beds popping up all around campus - the Quad, the lawn of the President's Mansion, the beds in front of Rose Administration, the planters around the dorms and classroom buildings.

But I think my tulip love began a bit earlier than college years, with my fascination for a song I learned in elementary school. I can't recite all the words now, (Elizabeth - help me remember!) but I do remember the hand motions and the tune:

"Look, there, in the gar-den bed,
Some-thing beau-ti-ful is grow-ing,

la-la-la-la-la-la-la,
TULIPS open to the sun!"


Sometime along the way I decided someday I just had to see fields of tulips blooming in their native Holland - windmills twirling in the distance optional. So you can imagine my thrill when my plane landed in Holland today, and I stepped into a whole world of tulips! Even the airport restrooms were in the spirit - larger than life 3-D tulips hung from the walls!

Damion met me the airport, and we headed directly to the Keukenhof Festival, the national tulip festival, known as het mooiste lentepark ter wereld or the most beautiful spring garden in the world!

The colors, variety and quality of the tulips and flower beds at the festival were more beautiful than I could have dreamed, and I often ran my finger along a silky blossom to feel its beauty and make sure it was real.


My dream came true with tulips and a windmill!


From the deck of the windmill - the grounds of Keukenhof extend far beyond what's visible in the picture!


Couldn't resist the clog!


One of the hundreds of pictures I took of the tulips! And not one picture looks alike! I love them all, but I especially love this one - "Three Sisters" as I call it.


These tulips are called "Manhattan" - how appropriate! It became a game of looking at the names and finding ones with special meaning to us.


Another favorite picture - these tulips are called "Inspiration".


The white of the tree was so pretty against the blue of the sky, and the green of the grass was so pretty against the white of the tree...and this picture is one of the funnier memories from our day at Keukenhof.


I love love love the long rows!


Hahaha! It's harder than it looks to walk over the top!


Oh my goodness! Doesn't it just take your breath away?! I wish I'd gotten more of the white tree blossoms in the picture, but you can see the "powdered sugar" on the ground as evidence of what's above!

Amazing that God can make so much beauty for us to enjoy!

No comments: