Saturday, April 19, 2008

Patience for the Pontiff

I gave it a good try to see the Pope during his visit to New York. On Friday morning I stood along 1st Avenue in front of the United Nations to catch a glimpse before his address to the UN. The most I saw after an hour of waiting was his helicopter landing nearby. Saturday morning I made it up to 5th Avenue and 60th Street by 10:00 AM, in time for his advertised parade up 5th Avenue from St. Patrick's Cathedral. It was a beautiful morning, so I didn't mind a bit of a wait. An hour later at 11:00 AM, I asked a police officer when I could expect him to pass by. His response sent me packing - 1:30 or 2:00 PM.

Since seeing the Pope wasn't going to happen, I would have settled for and been pleased with a sighting of the Popemobile, but all I got was a huge procession of junior Pope's heading from St. Patrick's to the Waldorf-Astoria! It didn't give me the calmness then elation that so many people reported after seeing the Pope in person, but it was exciting nonetheless!


A procession of Pope-looking people!

No comments: