Thursday, April 17, 2008

MSGPL8S

Ever since I received two much-needed messages via the license plates on cars, I have loved to spot an interesting assortment of letters on a car's rear bumper. When I was first out of college and interviewing for jobs, I received a great offer for a job I wasn't too sure I wanted. Driving home after turning it down, I was second-guessing my decision and feeling lots of anxiety about still not having a job. A car cut in front of me, and as I started to get angry at the abrupt swerve, I noticed the license plate:

"BE GLAD"

It was as if God Himself had swept down and flashed the message in front of me. Immediately I was overcome with gladness that I had not accepted the job and felt confident there was something better planned for me.

Several weeks later, again I was freaking out over a job - this time eagerly waiting to hear back from RealtySouth - and again I was driving around as my thoughts swirled. I remember thinking, "I really, really want this job! It's meant for me! What will I do if I don't get it?!" And just as suddenly as before, a car jumped into my lane and the message on the license plate made me lose my breath:

"TRST HYM"

Again, calmness swept over me and confidence in God's plan took control. Stop being so anxious and just trust, Rebecca!

Since then I have seen countless license plate messages that have made me stop and think or brought a smile to my face, but none have been quite as timely or memorable as BE GLAD and TRST HYM. Now being in New York City where there seldom is a car other than a taxi, it's hard to find any messages on license plates, but that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of messages floating around to be seen at just the right time.

As I consider new job opportunities and think about the future, I was feeling particularly anxious on this past Tuesday. A message stuck low on the base of an indiscreet light post stopped me mid-(brisk-New-York-City)-pace and led me to back up to read it again:


"Believe Then Do It" on the base of a street light on 3rd Avenue and 29th Street.

Later in the day I received another message:

"Become Your Dream" on a bicycle cab near Central Park.

Then on Wednesday afternoon, still feeling a bit lost, another message popped into view:

"Have Faith" on a pipe on East Houston Street.

With each message I smirked to myself and knew I was receiving just the words I needed at just the right time. On Thursday morning when I rushed out of the train onto the subway platform, I did a double take and jerked my head back to read a sticker that had been slapped onto the back of a sign, practically hidden unless you're looking up while exiting the train doors, and at a spot I have exited many, many times before. It said, "Big City Dreamer" - just what I was feeling at the time! (Sorry no picture - I would have been pinched in the closing doors if I had stopped!)

Seeing all the messages made me wonder how many words of encouragement I pass every day because I'm too busy to notice what's around me. But it's nice to know the messages are there whether I see them or not, and I firmly believe however many times they pass unnoticed, they do surface at just the right time!

And one more spot just for fun! Either Daddy was thinking about me or I was thinking about him, because I'm pretty sure there aren't hundreds of "Gary" stickers just floating around NYC!

"Gary" for my dad on a street sign in Soho.

No comments: