Monday, July 30, 2007

A Different Perspective

I went to Brooklyn Saturday night for the first time with some friends. Thankfully we met at the subway near my apartment and rode together. I had no clue about Brooklyn or how to get there!

The girl’s apartment was so cute – on the third floor of an older brownstone in Park Slope. It was luxuriously large to me on the inside – a hallway lead to the kitchen that had a galley window to the den that had an archway into the bedroom. Really small by Birmingham standards, but – oh my, all that space! And all to herself! Wow!

Some of us went up to roof where we were pleasantly surprised at the view of all of lower Manhattan and up the East side to near my apartment. To the left was the Statue of Liberty. It was so beautiful!

It was close to midnight and very still, and we could see all the twinkling lights of the city and actual stars in the sky! I was with fun people I would consider my “group” in New York, and we were trying to be quiet because we weren’t supposed to be up there. I took a step out of myself and just smiled in bewilderment. I was so thankful for where I was and who I was with and what I was seeing. It was just this cool, interesting experience – and we all stood in awe at where we were – New York! We all live in the city, and it just becomes part of you and you part of it. It was amazing to see it from this perspective - I forget the enormity of it, and what it represents to so many people.

No comments: