Tuesday, November 6, 2007

A slice at the bar

I've begun a "back to New York" tradition of going to Ultimate Pizza when I return from a trip. Over the last few months it's become a special place to me, not so much because of the pizza, but just because of the atmosphere and memories...and the window bar isn't too bad either!

The first time I ate there was in May while I was here for the job interview. We stopped in for a slice of pizza and sat at the little bar in the window, and I just thought it was so cute and New York-y. When I moved here, I realized it's just a block from the apartment, so I ate there several times during my first few weeks in New York. I would walk over, get either a pepperoni or pepperoni/mushroom (or both!), and enjoy my pizza while sitting on my favorite stool at the window bar. When the pizza was finished, I'd sit longer and return phone calls to friends at home - some nights I'd have hour-long conversations with one person, some nights I'd talk to several friends for a few minutes each. It was such a fun time of talking with friends from home while watching my new New York neighbors on the sidewalk out the window. (I'm sure all the phone calls provided the Ultimate Pizza cooks with earfulls of information about me!)

After several pizza-filled weeks, I got so sick of it, I avoided pizza of any kind for awhile! In August I was out of town for a weekend, and when I got back to New York I craved a slice of pizza. Every return to New York since then, I've had to make my little walk up the block for a relaxing slice at the bar.


My pizza place...Ultimate Pizza on 57th and 1st!


Even better than the pizza...the window bar.

No comments: