Saturday, June 2, 2007

Dream in My Heart...Pit in My Stomach

Today is the day! I can’t believe I’m moving to New York! It is so like Crimsonette tryout day (but then, I can relate anything to Crimsonette experiences!) The weeks leading up are all-consuming with nerves and preparation, then the day of I’m just in performance mode. You just do it. Today I woke up, felt sick before I opened my eyes, and then I just got out of bed and starting getting ready and packing the last things. And just like Crimsonette tryout day, Mama and Daddy always make me feel nervous because I can tell they’re nervous eventhough they are trying to act like they're not, you know. As my Dad always says – “Never let ‘em see you sweat.” So, I hid in my bedroom so I could cry a little while I wrote each of them a note they would find after I left!

I’d been dreading the whole goodbye in the airport scene. Oh gosh, just can’t even think about it. The ride to the airport was pretty quiet, and every time I started to say something, tears welled up and my throat tightened. I let one little tear fall, and then the sad slipped away to excitement.

So, checking bags curbside – I’m not even far enough into the trip to be INSIDE the airport – I get freaked out. “LaGuardia?” says the attendant. “Don’t be afraid of the extra security there today.” “Oh, I’ve been there lots before, I know it’s more than Birmingham.” He gives me a blank stare and so matter of factly says, “There was a terrorist threat at JFK today. They were going to blow up all the planes.” Now he gets a blank stare from me. “You’re kidding. Don’t even tell me anymore. I’m moving to New York today, and you’re not going to scare me!” Seriously? Seriously! Then I saw a girl in the airport wearing an “I love NY” t-shirt…God's telling me it's going to be okay!

Julie's HOURS of meticulous work packing my suitcases paid off - the biggest one weighed in just under 50 pounds!! Yeah! Thanks MBB!



We hung out in the waiting area for a while and enjoyed our matching green shirts and red bags. We are too cute! And sweet Ansley called to tell me there was a bomb at JFK, and it's all over the news. Thanks friend - I always know you will tell me what I need to know when no one else can... :) (That's Ansley I'm on the phone with!)



When I couldn’t linger any longer, the goodbyes started. And so did our tears. Hugged Mama first, “I’m so excited for you. It’s going to be okay.” Then Daddy, “You have to do this…Remember what you’ve been taught…Know we love you…Do your best…We are proud of you.” And then Julie and Elizabeth…sweet tears from sweet sisters.


They stood in a little clump (just how I’d pictured they would look), and I did our classic family goodbye of “walk, turn, wave...walk, turn, wave...walk, turn, wave” until I just kept walking and didn’t look back. I kept hearing a quote I love, “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you’ve imagined.”


I had to wait on the plane for a bit before take off. It gave me a chance to see Birmingham – see the skyline, pink mimosa trees, Queen Anne’s lace in the grass by the runway – I’ve flown out of there many times but never noticed how pretty it is!

Then God showed he was there with me. An “off duty” pilot came and sat in the row in front of me. It just calmed my nerves knowing he was there if something went wrong. Then a man moved into the aisle seat on what had been my empty row. He sat a Bible on the seat in between us! He opened it to Job 4, so I got my Bible out and read it. I liked what it said and smiled knowing I was being taken care of.

And then suddenly, we were off! It was a really long and really fast taxi for take off. It felt similar to my journey to get to New York – wanted it over a long time, and then it took off really fast! Gave a little wave out the window because I knew my family was standing in the airport windows watching the plane take off. :)


During the layover in Atlanta, I read the book Ansley gave me as a going away present. She always gives the perfect gifts. I knew this one would make me cry, and it did. A book called “She…” You can read it in like 5 minutes, but each page is filled with such awesome words – it overwhelmed me. Thank you, Ansley – I love it!

I slept on the flight to New York, and then woke up with a HUGE pit in my stomach. Oh no, what am I doing?! I'm here - what now?! Then I saw the “Welcome to New York” sign at the airport. It’s anything I want it to be. Here we go!

Message at baggage claim summed it up, so I had to take a picture:



Later I heard from Mama that when they were leaving the airport in Birmingham she saw a little girl wearing a t-shirt that said: “Dreams come true”

Why, yes, they do!

No comments: