Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Alabama in New York

Decided to walk to work again this morning. Mary Jane was running late, so I went solo. Big mistake – it took forever and I didn’t go a fun route. I did get to say hi to a window washer, and I saw the same homeless man two days in a row. I called Mom at 8:30 so we could talk while I walked and she drove to work. She loved when I asked what she was doing and she said, "Driving on 280", and when she asked what I was doing I said, "Walking down Park Avenue!" I said it feels so natural to say that and be here and be doing this. It is amazing, and I’ve only been here four days! Julie sent me a sweet email about how she watches the Today Show to see what it’s like in NYC.

Gray Shipley gets the prize for being my first visitor from home! He was here on business, and we went to lunch with three of his friends who work at the Empire State Building – all graduates of Alabama too! We met at the fountain in Madison Square Park (which is quickly becoming one of my favorite places). All very nice guys and I had a great time getting to know them. I love that there are so many Alabama people in New York.

Leaving the restaurant, I thought I was headed in the right direction back to the office. I stopped to second guess myself, and before I could even begin to figure it out on my own, two people stopped and asked if I needed help with directions! I’ve been constantly amazed at how helpful people are here.

Went to the East Village for dinner tonight with Cameron, Mary Jane and Lauren. We walked through Union Square Park. It looked like a premiere was going on just off the park – cameras set up and VIPs posing for pictures. Again, I’m trying to not act like a complete tourist, so I just kept right on walking! A farmers’ market is held in Union Square on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays – fruits, vegetables, crafts, guys playing hacky sack with crazy moves, etc! It was fun to see all that was going on. As we got into the East Village area, the scenery, buildings and people changed so much. Each area of New York is so totally different – it’s amazing! I scuffed the front of my new peep toe heels – tragic!

Dinner, wine, laughter and $45 later, we were back home and ready for bed! I'm finding days are long here, and nights out are expensive!!

No comments: