Sunday, June 24, 2007

Basics of my New York life!

Where I live
I live in a 40-floor building called the Plaza on the corner of East 56th Street and 1st Avenue. I live with Jane - she was a Crimsonette at Alabama in the 70s, and I met her at Alabama's Homecoming in Fall 2006. Jane's lived in the building for 21 years. and she is so sweet to let us girls rent space from her! The apartment has a master bedroom and bath, a large den that flows into my "area" that flows into the dining area, and a small kitchen is off the dining area. A hallway leads to the guest room and hall bathroom. Cameron and Mary Jane (both girls graduated from Alabama last year) live in the guest room – they share a bed that folds out of the wall – and the three of us share the bathroom. Sharing the bathroom has worked fine so far – Jane has color-coded towels for each of us, and there is plenty of hooks, cabinets, counter space and mirrors.

Main living area - my space is back near the window!

I feel so blessed that Cameron and Mary Jane are here - it's fun to live with girls close to my age. I was supposed to be in the room they're in, but the apartment they were going to rent fell through just before I moved here. Although I initially freaked out about not having my own room, God totally knew what he was doing in having all of us here!

Something unique to our building is we have a pool on the rooftop. I’ve been up there a few times, but unless you want to swim with old people, it’s really more fun to go out to Central Park to sunbathe.


My space
My space is super cute. I have a very comfortable bed, a desk area and an armoir that has a TV and extra space for my "stuff". I keep all my books, pictures and letters from home in there - I love it! I store my comforter and pillow in a hamper and put a really cute matching canvas case over the mattress during the day. The case makes it look less like a bed sitting out in the living room! Jane is so sweet and puts the comforter on my bed lots of nights for me while I'm getting ready for bed. The night before I started work, she turned on the lamp and put out a glass of water - it was so cute! One night she left a chocolate on the pillow. :)



My little area - glass desk in bottom corner and armoir on the right...and view out the window (pic taken at night...will have to do a better day shot so you can see!)

The best part about my space is the window. My bed runs alongside the door and window that look out to the balcony and the VIEW. I happily trade having walls for the view! It HAS to be the best view in the city.

The view!!
It is amazing. I’m not even going to try to describe it, and the pictures truly do not do it justice. You just have to see it for yourself! It’s almost an overwhelming feeling, and for however long I live here, I really don’t want to ever get used to it – you know?! I want it to always be an awestruck feeling, and I want to always be appreciative of it. The focal points are the Chrysler Building, the Empire State Building and the “MetLife” building, but it's truly a bird's eye view of midtown Manhattan! Jane sent me a picture of the view before I visited New York in February with Ansley and Jackie. I remember sitting at work and opening the email. The picture so overwhelmed me – and was so my dream – that tears welled up in my eyes and my throat tightened and I truly felt changed. I can’t believe it is now what I see everyday!


Top: Zoomed in shot (Chrysler and Empire State Bldg) Bottom: This is only half the view - I need to do some "panoramic" shots! Even that still wouldn't be the full effect of feeling it in person...
How I get to work
Well, the first few days I thought it was super fun to walk to and from work…it’s 34 blocks plus the avenues, so it’s over 2 miles! It takes around 35 minutes walking fast. I’ve quickly given up walking for riding the subway, which is usually a pretty good adventure in itself. I take the 6 train (Downtown in the morning and Uptown in the evening). I walk up from 1st Ave to Lexington (that’s long avenue blocks 1st Ave, 2nd Ave, 3rd Ave, Lex) and get on the subway at either the 59th Street stop or the 51st Street stop (I live on 56th Street).

The 59th Street stop is usually SO packed!! Several times I’ve had to wait for another train or been so squeezed on I literally have to suck my body in as small as I can be and hold my breath (who wants to breathe in other people’s morning breath?!) So, since 59th is so packed in the morning, I’ve decided to start catching the train at 51st Street instead – seems like hordes of people get OFF at 51st St, so it’s a little less crowded. Plus, the station is at the Citigroup Financial Center and there are tons of cute guys who all they do is work, work, work so they need a Southern girl to smile at them in the morning! :)

In addition to the morning congestion problem at 59th Street, the other problem is the evening temptation its location presents. Does 59th and Lex ring a bell? Bloomingdales. Bloomingdales is not so much the problem, but H&M, Urban Outfitters, Banana, Express, Zara, you-name-it-it’s-there! I have a tendency to just “take a peek”…and we all know taking a peek means three shirts and two skirts later you’re on your way home. It’s just safer all around if I stick to 51st Street in the morning and in the evening!

In the morning it’s about a 10 minute walk to the station, and a 10 minute subway ride to 23rd Street stop. (There are four stops on the way). I exit on 22nd Street, so I just walk right up the block to the office. Trains come every two to three minutes during rush hour, but a few mornings I’ve had to wait longer.

Where I work
DC Design is a small company owned by David Chu, the creator of Nautica brand clothing. Our office is a 6-story brownstone on the lower east side – I love saying our address “East 22nd Street between Broadway and Park”!! The exterior is very beautiful with a walkup entry.
L to R: The townhouse, the front door and the plaque at the front door.

The inside is immaculate – white marble floors, granite countertops, black and white framed photos (mainly of New York landmarks) accented by bright works of art. In addition to being a billionaire, David is an art collector, furniture designer, involved in real estate and very nice and friendly. My mom asked me the other day if I’ve seen any famous people, and I said no. She asked if I ever see David Chu. I do, all the time – he walks through our office area and says hi just like any other person. So, since in some circles he is very famous, I guess I see a famous person almost every day!

Okay, I tried to make this look panoramic! Top pictures are the reception area. I love this area because I remember when I came for the interview, I felt very at ease and at home from the first second I walked through the door! Bottom picture is part of the conference room and showroom on the first floor (it's the room behind the red piece of art).

We have a showroom on the first floor which is set up with the current season’s collection so we can show it when the specialty store buyers come. The second floor has HR, accounting, logistics, IT and PR. Mallory & Church, a mens dress furnishings company, is on the third and fourth floors. My office is on the fifth floor – we share space with the designers and a large planning area where the sketches and samples are displayed and worked on. The sixth floor is SO cool. By day it’s a custom tailor shop called Bespoke, and by night it’s a fabulous place for a party! There’s a patio that has a really great view of the Empire State Building. I’m mad at myself that I haven’t taken pictures of the view yet because construction has begun on the block behind us for a tall condo building…the cranes and equipment are starting to block the view.

Who I work with
I started working June 4 along with two other new account executives. I had been pretty nervous to see who my coworkers would be, but as soon as I saw them – before we even spoke – I had such peace feeling that I already knew and liked them. Shane is originally from Hawaii but has lived in New York for the past nine years. He studied fashion and has worked in mens high fashion retailers for several years. He is a wealth of knowledge and really helps us. Lauren is from Chicago and just moved to New York a month before I did. Her fiancĂ© is also from Chicago and has lived in New York for a year. She worked in advertising for a tradeshow company, so we both share an advertising and marketing background and are new to what we’re doing! We were fast friends and have eaten lunch together from day one! I’m so thankful for her, and for the dynamic between the three of us. The senior account executive is Amy – she’s from Florida and has been in New York for five years. Our VP of Sales is David – he is a lifetime New Yorker, and he and his wife live in New Jersey and have two kids. David’s claim to fame is he used to dance on MTV on the “Downtown Julie Brown” show!!! He was none too happy that we found out this little bit of information, and we are hoping he will show us some moves soon!

We went to a menswear awards lunch at New York Athletic Club on June 19th. The Club is beautiful and has great views of Central Park. George Zimmer of Mens Warehouse was an award recipient and in attendance. Our picture from the event made the “Schmoozing” page – not a publication as great as my beloved “About Town”, but I guess it’ll do for now! :) http://www.mrketplace.com/schmoozing/index.cgi?&insidealbum=True&reference_albumtitle=147
We’re the 12th picture; l to r: Lauren, Shane, Amy, David, Rebecca

What I do
I’m an account executive for the menswear clothing line Lincs David Chu. It’s a high end menswear line sold at specialty stores across the country. It’s relatively new – first season was Fall 2005. It’s so exciting because the company and line are so young and just now starting to grow. I really feel like the experience working here will be anything I want it to be.

I am responsible for servicing existing accounts and getting new ones, so it is a sales-type job (I always swore I would never be in sales!) I have the southeast territory – for obvious reasons!

Lauren, Shane and I spend a lot of time getting familiar with the clothes and with how to show them. We have frequent field trips to Saks 5th Ave to see the product in action with consumers. (It’s a hard job, but somebody’s got to do it!) The glamour of Saks visits is balanced by a lot of time spent in the storage area at the townhouse – opening and inventorying the Spring 2008 line as it arrives. Lauren, Shane and I have some of our best times down in the basement talking! Even the most boring of tasks - like going through swatches or looking at inventory spreadsheets - is a great opportunity for me to get familiar with fabrics, styles, etc. All this is so new – it’s very exciting to learn!

We’re working toward the summer show season which begins with the New York Collective July 23-25. Buyers from specialty stores all over the country will be here to see the Spring lines of all the menswear retailers. The Collective’s website is www.enkshows.com/collective. (Count the pictures as they fade in and out – the sixth picture you’ll see is of David Chu on the left showing an orange garment to two seated men.)

After the New York Collective, I’ll be traveling to Charlotte August 4-6 since many of my buyers are in that region. Lauren will go to Chicago because she has the Midwest accounts, and Shane will go to Las Vegas. I’m being a big girl and not pouting that I don’t get a more exciting city than Charlotte!

Typical Day
I love it! I was meant for this New York schedule because I do NOT do mornings!! Our hours are 9 to 5 with an hour lunch, and we get off at 1 pm on Fridays during the summer!! Unlike Birmingham where I hit the snooze like six times every morning, in New York I usually wake up before my alarm goes off! I don’t pull the shades because I love going to sleep looking at the city lights, and I love waking up to the most awesome view ever. The sun comes in the huge windows by my bed, and I love looking at it glinting off the windows of the buildings, especially the top of the Chrysler Building. Seeing the city just gives me energy and excitement to start the day. I get up around 6:30 and usually take second shower after Cameron. I take my time getting ready in my “space” and watching the Today Show (I keep having to remind myself the show is happening just a short 15 minute walk away!) Morning is my quiet time to be by myself and get ready for the day. I leave the apartment at 8:30, wave bye to the doormen, put on my sunglasses (gotta have sunglasses!) and zigzag through the streets to the subway.

There is no typical evening yet – I’ve been exploring and shopping, or going to dinner, Bible study or events. I talk on the phone to friends from home a lot in the evenings too. A few times we’ve all been back to the apartment by 8 or so and watched a little TV and talked. We usually try to get in the bed by 11:30 or 12:30. Since my bed is off of the living room, I kind of have to wait until everyone heads to their bed. Usually not a problem because I am such a night owl, but with all the walking and excitement of New York, I’m usually ready for bed sooner rather than later!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rebecca! Your entire post made me smile! I feel like I am there with you after reading that. Keep up the fabulous writing! Love you!

ansley said...

Wow! I'm impressed...now we can keep our cell phone bills down & still know what is going on day to day! BUT...call me tomorrow anyway!
Oh, Annie said she'll be in NYC Tuesday night & I gave her your number. Love you, ans

Katherine Brevard said...

Rebecca! How exciting and glamorous your life is now! I'm SOOOOO jealous! It sounds like you are having a blast. I am hoping that I will get to make it up to NYC in early August, so if I come up that way, I'll definitely give you a call! Miss you here in the ham!

Heather said...

You are definitely where you're supposed to be at this time in your life. Wow! You know I love details and your blog didn't disappoint in that area! Now I'm even more excited about coming up to visit you. I can't wait! I'm ready to shop!! :)
Keep writing so Birmingham can keep up with your "razzle-dazzle" life in NYC! Love you! Heather

Unknown said...

Oh Rebecca, I am so excited for you. It sounds so wonderful. I agree that God is just working everything out perfectly for you. What a blessing. You looked fabulous in the picture. Thanks so much for the update. It made me smile. Love ya, Crystal

The Dennis Family said...

YAY! I am so excited for you Rebecca! The blog is great by the way - I will be checking it all of the time - its so exciting!!!
I know that you are so so happy and that you feel like you are where you are supposed to be - I can tell by everything that you said in the blog! WAHOOOOO NEW YORK!!! Love ya, Maribeth

Mark said...

Hey Rebecca! I'll work on losing my Yankee accent now that I'm in B'ham as long as you promise to never lose your southern accent in the city. Yankee guys love that southern sound. I still don't know if I'm going to by in NYC or Pt. Pleasant, NJ on 7/03 but I'll update you as soon as I know in case you want to get together. Have fun! Mark

Lois Robinson said...

What a fantastic post! I'm super impressed! Wish I could help you with the sideways picture, but... I'm so thrilled for you and all your opportunities! It's going to be a blast to see everything on your horizon! Can't wait to come up there. Should be around the first week in August. Say hi to Cameron for me. Love, Lois

Elizabeth S. said...

Whoa! I've been checking for a new entry for a while and then all of a sudden--a ton of info!! Thanks for giving lots of details. I do feel more "connected" to your life up there! I'm so happy that things are going well!! LUV YA!

Elizabeth S. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
April said...

Rebecca!

How exciting and I am so jealous! I am so glad that you are having a wonderful time in your new city! It is amazing to see how God has brought you to this city. May you be a light in this city! Can't wait to read more about your life there!